Friday, March 25, 2011

What If There isn't Any More?

A man in the mobile home where I live told a friend and me the other day that his wife just went to the hospital and is back home in hospice and they gave her six more weeks to live.

This affected me greatly, not just because they are friends of mine, but because many of us seniors live all alone.  It is interesting that we come into this world all alone, and when we die, we have to go alone too, though we might be lucky to be surrounded by loved ones. I know that won't likely be the case for me. My brother lives in another state and is 100% disabled. He does get around some, but travel for him is not likely a good option. And I don't think he could handle it since he suffers, among other things, from post traumatic stress syndrome from the Vietnam War. I made this little quilt to let my brother know I love him.  I am not sure he got the idea, but I think he will someday.

So when a friend sent this to me, I had to share it because it is so true. Many times we take our lives for granted, and those of folks we love around us. We might be angry at them, or we might not have been in contact for a long time.

One day a woman's husband died, and on that clear, cold morning, in the warmth of their bedroom, the wife was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore".
No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minute."
Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say “good-bye”, say "I love you."

So while we have it, it's best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick.
This is true for marriage.....And old cars... And children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.

Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a sister-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what.

Life is important, like people we know who are special.. And so, we keep them close!

Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know you love them?

Let every one of your friends know you love them. Even if you think they don't love you back.

Live today because tomorrow is not promised.